Thursday, March 22, 2012

Feel Like Making (Bud-Up, Bud-Up) 'Kraut With You!

So a co-worker of TMOTH's gave us two heads of cabbage a while back. Don't ask.

I managed to use up one over the course of a couple of weeks, but that second cabbage was threatening to take up permanent residence in the fridge. I was stumped.

While perusing Simply in Season I came across the "Simple Homemade Sauerkraut" recipe and thought, why not?

So I sliced some cabbage...


And mixed it with some salt and spices.


Then I attempted to cram eight-plus cups of cabbage into a quart jar.


Success! I added some salted water to top it off...


And then placed it in an out-of-the way space on the cabinet to start doing it magic fermentation thing.


Itwo weeks or so we'll know if we made sauerkraut.

I guess I have until then to try to convince the girls that they might actually like sauerkraut.

--Rational Mama

1 comment:

  1. Not that you care now that the cabbage is handled, but we dehydrate our cabbage and then I sneak it into soups, casseroles, meat dishes,etc. Since it is dehydrated it absorbs the liquids it is in when it rehydrates and doesn't taste much like cabbage anymore but it still has all that nutritional goodness.

    ReplyDelete